Member – MIED
- Membership is open to anyone who possess an appropriate Engineering or Product Design qualification, or has completed an appropriate apprenticeship or has had appropriate responsible professional experience or currently holds a responsible position in Engineering or Product Design.To complete the membership application form Click here.
Product Design registration
The Institution's Product Design register is open to practitioners who can demonstrate professional competence in Product Design. There are two registration grades, detailed below.
Chartered Technological Product Designers - CTPD
Please see below for the competencies and a document on the annotated design portfolio for the Technological title.
Registered Product Designer - RProdDes
- Please contact IED HQ for details on this registration grade which is aimed at Product Designers who hold bachelors level qualifications.
Engineering Council Registration
Engineering Designers who are members can apply to have their names recorded on the Engineering Council Register as either Chartered Engineers (CEng), Incorporated Engineers (IEng) or Engineering Technicians (EngTech) depending on the level of their academic qualification. We will advise you if we feel that your application is not at the right level.
The qualifications you should hold if you wish to apply for registration with the Engineering Council as well as membership of the IED are:
MEng - Required for Chartered Engineer registration
BEng (Hons), BEng, BSc (Hons), BSc - Required for Incorporated Engineer registration
HNC, HND or ONC - Required for Engineering Technician registration
- In addition to any one of these qualifications you will also need to demonstrate that you have three years' appropriate experience.
- Equivalents will be considered, including foreign qualifications, Full Tech Certs, or NVQs.
- The IED is a licensed member of the Society for the Environment, which means that registration as a Chartered Environmentalist (CEnv) is now available to suitably qualified members.
- For full details of Chartered Environmentalist please click here.